Today was my first day at my new job.
I have been in Brisbane for a week and a half now and I am very glad that I came here well before I started work. There have been so many things to do in preparation.
- settled into my unit – worked out how to use the washing machine/ dryer; unpacked and put my clothes into drawers and wardrobes
- purchased a few items that seemed to be missing from my unit – tongs (incredibly necessary and useful in the kitchen), a sharp knife (the one here alleges to be sharp, but is deluded), a power board
- walked the streets of my new neighbourhood – found the supermarket (a ten minute walk), local restaurants and take aways (these abound!), wandered over to the city (a 25 minute walk)
- found a great walking route for the weekends along the river and across a walking bridge
- cooked and frozen a few meals for one for those mid-week nights when I can’t find the energy
I’m glad I had the time to do these things before starting work. I would have been exhausted trying to settle into a new job and a new routine in a new location all at the same time.
One very good thing is that my Pete is here with me now and will be for the next week. The firm he works for is based here and is a five minute walk from my office. Very conventient, don’t you think? He has been asked to do some training here so managed to time it well.
When I came home from my first very enjoyable day at my new job these were waiting for me on the kitchen bench.
He’s avery good man.